May 11, 2012

Briyani...

Assalam'mualaikum Wr. Wb 

Hope everyone are in the good heath today. It's been a wet day today. It's been a while since I went to Mustafa Centre to see see and look look... Hehehehe Finally I went there 2 days ago with my family to work around.  I've been wanting to cook briyani from scratch, ooh well I know there are various of spices involve. Anyway, I've decided to get the Shan's brand. It's one of the recommended brand if you want to cook briyani or some other dishes. I have purposely used Jasmine rice instead of Basmati Rice as I was afraid that it won't turn out as how I want it to be. Praise to God, it turns out so well and get thumbs up from Mr Hub & Missy Daughter.

Well enough of blah blah blah, let's screen thru the recipe with my own style. 

My style - Sindhi Briyani

















Ingredients:


500g – 700g of basmati rice (I used jasmine rice instead) – Wash & soak basmati rice for 1-2 hours.
1 whole chicken – cut into 8’s
1 box of Shan’s Sindhi briyani spices
1 cup of fresh mint
1 cup of cilantro
1 cup of low fat yoghurt
2 – 3 fresh green chillies – halves
2 medium tomatoes - cut into 6’s
2 bay leaves
1 medium onion – slice it
Ghee (I used oilive oil for healthier version)

To grind into paste:

4 green chillies
2 medium onions
1” ginger
6-8 cloves of garlic

Methods:

  • Boil the basmati rice till its ¾ cook and drain it. 
  • Fry the sliced onion till its little brownish and fragrant with the ghee / olive oil. Then add in the paste, bay leaves, ½ of the fresh mint and Shan’s briyani spices till the oil float on the surface.
  • Add in the chicken, yogurt, tomatoes and 1 cups of water. Simmer till the chicken cook and gravy thickens.
  • When it’s done, off the heat and scoop out the excess gravy in a separate bowl. You can serve the gravy with the rice later.
  • Spread the basmati rice on top of it then top with the coriander and mint. Cover it and steam it over a very low heat for about 5 mins.  You can skip this step if you prefer to serve the dish separately.


Notes: 
  • If you want to top with cashews or almonds, make sure you fry it with little oil or roast it in the oven for healthier choice.
  • I don’t use salt as I find the seasoning is sufficient.
  • I want my briyani to be natural so I have skipped the colouring. You may use saffron for the beautiful colour.
  • You can opt not to add in the fresh chillies that have been halves if you don't prefer it to be spicy.
- Yours truly -






0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com